Beef Assad is a Goan style beef roast, which comes with gravy, is on the spicier side but a good tribute to the Goan way of eating.
Beef Assado (Roast Beef)
A traditional Goan dish influenced by the Portuguese.
Write a review
- 1 kg Beef, cut into chunks
- 2 onions (sliced finely)
- 1-2 tomatoes chopped
- 2-3 red chillies (Kasmiri preferred)
- salt for seasoning
For the marination
- 3 red chillies
- 1 tsp cummin seeds
- 10 peppercorn seeds
- 10 flakes of garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 stick of cinammon
- 1-2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- Pinch of sugar
- Grind all this into a fine paste with little vinegar or freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 1) Pierce the meat with a fork, apply the marination and leave for 2-3 hours or even overnight.
- 2) In a deep pan fry red chillies & onions until translucent, add tomatoes.
- 3) Add the meat and fry well. Add water depending on the amount of gravy required.
- 4) Cook meat until tender.
- 5) Slice thinly. Serve with roast potatoes.
- Roast beef makes a good filling for sandwiches. Roast beef can be made dry into a chilly fry or served as gravy.