This is the equivalent of Portuguese-style grilled chicken and the sauce it is marinated in tastes a lot like the famous Portuguese Peri-peri sauce. Serve Chicken Cafreal hot with a fresh green salad.
This is a spicy Goan chicken dish originating from our Portuguese roots. It can be either eaten as a starter or served as a main course.
Write a review
- 6-8 chicken thighs/drumsticks
- For the Cafreal Masala
- 7 - 8 green chillies
- 8-10 stalks of coriander leaves.
- 1.5 inch piece of ginger
- 10 -12 flakes of garlic
- 7-8 peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 - 6 cloves
- 2 tbsps vinegar (can use lime juice or tamarind water if preferred)
- 1. Blend all the masala ingredients into a smooth paste. The masala can be stored for later usage in the fridge.
- 2. Cut the chicken pieces into required sizes, make incisions into the flesh. Apply the masala and let it marinate in the fridge overnight. Season with salt.
- 3. In a deep pan place the chicken and masala , cover and cook on slow flame. After 5 mins, turn the chicken pieces. Remove the lid so the gravy starts to thicken and coats the chicken. Turn the chicken so it cooks evenly.
- 4. Serve with fried potato chips or salad.
- Note no oil was used above. However you can also fry the chicken if you do not want to cook it as mentioned in step 3.